Wednesday, February 10, 2010

DAY 041

Today I knocked off one item on my UCLA bucket list: to go to a UCLA planetarium show. I convinced my friend Rachel to go with me, so we met up outside of the math sciences building and walked up. The show started off with a short lecture about life in the universe, then the lights were turned off and the Star Wars theme song came on and the domed ceiling lit up with stars. The grad student in charge pointed out constellations and told us the myths behind them, telling us the names of key stars along the way. I love how the universe is this vast thing and how the stars are so far away that we can't ever actually touch them or see them (the "stars" that we see are really just light that is millions of years old) but we still name them. And with such great names, too! Betelgeuse, Sirius, Polaris...



2 comments:

  1. Was that part of the constellations presentation? because that looks awfully similar to Apple wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it's definitely apple wallpaper! i took this picture before they started the show - none of my actual constellation photos came out. :(

    ReplyDelete