Saturday, May 29, 2010

DAY 149

Various photos taken with the Ikimono from a relaxed day that turned out quite epic and adventurous. Jeff wanted to go on a hike so I found one that was in Malibu. Unfortunately, traffic was ridiculous because it's Memorial Day weekend, so we turned off on a side road heading north into the mountains. I think it was called Temescal Canyon (or was it Topanga Canyon?). I remembered the road from before, when I had driven down it in a bus for fieldwork this Fall. We drove through a little town that looked like a Western town from way out in the boonies and stopped at the decrepit general store for some iced tea. On the walk back to the car, we kept getting hit the head by flying ladybugs. The air was filled with thousands of them and you could hear a faint buzzing in the background from the combined sound of all of their wings.

The actual hike we ended up going on turned out to be pretty anticlimactic (it advertised "falls," we saw a creek) but it still felt nice to be outside. I might have gotten a little suntanned. I did find a new freckle on the back of my hand. On the way back on PCH (I love calling it that) I turned off to the side and suggested we put our feet in the water. I really can't go to the beach without touching the water! It was ice cold but it felt nice on my feet after the hike. I can't wait to see how today's pictures turn out!

I forgot how much happened this day (which is why I love doing photo-of-the-day - I remember things I would have forgotten about, and remember that I really don't live a dull life). First that day, I picked Jeff up from his apartment, which is across from the cemetery:


We drove up PCH (I still love that name) looking for a hike I had read about, but the traffic made us impatient so we turned down a road that I thought I had been down before. It turned out that I was wrong, but we decided to continue exploring. We entered a little mountain-y town. Bizarre. We stopped at a convenience store for cold beverages and a bathroom break. The ground outside the portapotty was littered with old homework and textbooks:


We continued driving up the road, looking for another hike. We passed concrete ruins that someone had painted to look like a shrine surrounding a buddha:


We found a hike:


On the way back, we saw a squirrel that had been run over with its intestines strewed out next to it on the concrete. Fascinating, but it made me want to puke:


On the drive back, we impulsively pulled over and walked down onto the beach and put our feet in the waves. Some Mexican kids were actually swimming in the water even though it was freezing:


No comments:

Post a Comment